Thursday, April 9, 2009

Jews of Indonesia

I browsed the net and i found out many people talk about Israel, war, etc... like war is never ending! then i read some blogs and the the bloggers wrote about jewish / judaism / yahudi. I could say that some people could not diferentiate between jewish and zionist. From what i know, Jews/Jewish/Judaism/Yahudi is related to a religion (Torah religion) but Zionism is part of politic (related to the build of Israel as a sovereign state). Many Jewish don't like with the idea of Zionism and not all Zionist are Jewish. (correct me if i am wrong!).

And then come to my curiousity, is there any Jewish in Indonesia? because i know that there are jewish in Iran. Iran and Indonesia is almost the same. Majority of our population are Moslem. But the different is that Iran is using Sharia as the basic law and Indonesia is not using it. (Correct me again if i am wrong :) ) I found out that there is Beth Hashem, a synagogue (jewish temple) in Surabaya.. interesting! see, jewish community is exist in this land.

I googled on the topic of jews of indonesia and i got this link :

Tempo Dulu Foundation in Israel.

Jews of Indonesia, The Untold Story

These people are Jewish who come to Netherlands Indisch (Indonesia) from Europe and Iraq. Most of them were born and raised in Indonesia (Sumatra, Kalimantan, and Java) and they were forced to leave Indonesia by the situation which was very bad (World War II). Now they are known as Jewish Dutch Community in Israel. They do regular meeting (they called it as Kumpulan) and in the Kumpulan they share memories about their childhood in Indonesia, share knowledge about Indonesian language, culture, food, etc. ... interesting again!

Well you can check the link if you want...

2 comments:

  1. i need the definition of ur post.. plz sent me email to untitl3d_08@yahoo.com or my fb.
    thanx before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What do you mean by my definition of this post??

    ReplyDelete